Monday, April 14, 2014

Facial Hair

I have a hard time picturing facial hair on characters in stories.
Especially if I really like said character.
All the cute guys don't have facial hair, right? ;)

Even if I'm told repeatedly in the book that the character has a moustache, has a beard....I can't always bring it into the picture.

The best example of this would be Qwillian from The Cat Who.... books.
(Siamese cats help a reporter solve crimes. Mostly murders.)
He is always described with a huge 'luxurious' moustache on his face.
I could never picture it. I knew it was there. I knew he had it. I read the words on the page. But picturing him? He wasn't in his 40s with a moustache. He was young, attractive, without the moustache.
Yep, the power of the mind.

Of course, it's not a be all end all thing with the facial hair.
Other characters it's easier. Because it fits them.
The great example is Perrin, from The Wheel of Time. He eventually grows a beard. Most of the guys seem to in that series, actually... But him. I could picture him with the beard. It just 'fit' him, fit into how his life was changing, his personality. I mean, I didn't agree with it, but....I could picture it.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment