Thursday, March 13, 2014

Magic vs. Modern Day

So there I was, trying to create a story in the modern world.
You know, cars, cameras, rifles, cell phones, camping. The whole thing.

And then....I tried to introduce magic to the story.
-I don't just mean 'spells/wands' when I say magic, but the whole fantasy concept. Mythical animals, gods, magic powers....

Do you know how difficult it is to bring that concept into the modern day?
Perhaps I'm over thinking it. I know there are other authors who do just fine with this concept.
But I find it difficult to do so. I mean. satellites. How can magical creatures avoid those?

*shakes head*
It involves a certain...belief level I think. A willingness to give into the unknown. And how is that possible...when you basically and go to google to figure out answers? There's a general lack of 'belief' when science can be used to explain almost everything. (if not in a satisfactory level)

Yah...just typing this out, I am realizing that I'm over thinking this.
I'm also realizing that this one story, probably shouldn't take place in the modern day. There needs to be a bit more 'belief' more 'willingness to believe in magic' then the current set up gives.

That doesn't mean that I can't bring magic into the modern world in a different story. ;)
It's just this one....looks like it needs more 'magicalism,' then what the modern world can give.

Ah. The joys of writing.
What doesn't work for one story, may not work for the next seven stories, but it will work for a story eventually. ;)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment