Thursday, April 6, 2017

A Wet Fish Feeder

One of my coworkers came up to me after calling me over to the fish wall today.
He started out our conversation with a string of compliments. "Sarnic, you're a smart, capable, knowledgeable person."
This could only mean that he needed my help with a customer. lol.
"Depends on the situation I suppose." Was my response. "What do you need?"
"I have a customer" (ha called it.) "that has an issue I'm not quite sure how to answer."
"Okay, what is it?"
To which....he had me follow him to the customer so that the customer could explain their situation.

It was one of the more...obscure questions I've gotten.

In the fact that the guy has an automatic fish feeder, but he's noticed that the food within the feeder has been getting wet...despite the fact that there isn't a way for water to get inside.
So he was wondering if it was the humidity causing it.

To which I confirmed that, yes indeed it could be that.
Because no matter what you do, water will evaporate from your tank.
And evaporating liquid always moves up.
The fish feeders have to have a hole where the food comes out, so it makes sense that moisture would go up inside of the feeder and then get 'stuck' there, hence their food getting wet.

The customer then followed up with a more difficult question.
The question of: How do I get it to stop?
*blinks* Ummm.....

Honestly, I didn't know off the top of my head.
You can't really stop water from evaporating....
My first response was along the lines of: Well....you could just stop using the automatic feeder....
The next was a bit more helpful. "It may be that particular brand that has the issue, you could try a different automatic feeder and see if it's still an issue."

But then, in a burst of inspiration, as I was trying to think what else could cause the humidity to happen...
I asked the customer if his fish feeder was by his filter.
As maybe with fresh flowing water nearby, there's a bit more moisture being given off which would mean a higher likely hood of water making its way to places it shouldn't be.

The customer was like: "You know...it's actually right by the filter."
So I suggested that he move the feeder away from the filter and place it in a different spot in his tank to see if that would help.

Yay for finding the solutions!! lol.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment