Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Is It Moving?

So part of my morning tasks when I'm opening up the department.
Is to do a dead fish pull.
Where I check every fish tank and make sure that there's no dead fish within.
If there is, then I fish them out and move onto the next tank.

After all, customers don't want to buy fish when they see dead fish in a tank do they?
I wouldn't.

But as I was fishing out this morning's casualties....
One of my coworkers came up to me....to ask a question.

And that question was.
"How can you tell the fish is dead?"

O.o
Again, I've been thrown for a loop. lol.
I mean...if you've never had a pet fish or never seen a fish die, I suppose it's only natural to wonder how I could quickly tell which fish was dead or alive....

But still....
if you see a fish floating at the top of the tank not moving....
It's a pretty good indication that it's dead.

I basically said as much to my coworker. "If it's not moving....or it floats like this see?" And I showed them how the dead fish looked in the water.
(That and the smell, the glazed eyes, the body rotting.....it gives itself away...)

*shakes head*
Yah....at least my coworker now knows. lol.
They were surprised that I had to look at every tank. (we have like 80 tanks) and were asking how many dead fish we get in a day/week.
Which honestly it depends on the day/week. Some days/weeks it's more fish, others it's less.
It could be 10 a day or 100 a day (depending on how our feeder goldfish are doing that week.)
There's a lot of factors that are involved in how many dead I pull.

lol hopefully I was able to answer their questions well enough. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment