Friday, June 22, 2018

Out and Back In Again

*exhales* 
Sometimes rodents frustrate me.
Especially when I'm trying to bring more of them out to the floor. 
Because sometimes it works. 
It sometimes it doesn't.
And you never know which way it will go because it all depends on the creatures involved. >.<

Today I was bringing out guinea pigs to the floor.
Usually not a huge issue because for the most part, they get along.

I only had three guinea pigs on our floor at the moment,
And I had three in the back that needed to come out from our overstock area.
Plus, I had a guinea pig that had been isolated for a bit that was healthy again and ready to come out.

Seven is like the max I can have in the cage.
So it was perfect!
Plus I was introducing multiple guinea pigs at once.
Which usually bodes well.
Because introducing more than one creature at a time with the rodents usually means a higher chance of them being accepted by the rest of the creatures already in the cage.

*exhales* 
Not so today.

The main issue with our guinea pigs....is a) if they get too big and b) if they have been alone too long they get...aggressive. 
Or it's just their personalities....

But occasionally there are slightly older guinea pigs who decide that they don't want to play nice with newcomers. 
Whether they are the newcomer into the cage, or they've already been established in the cage....

They don't always take well to having others around them.

>.<
That's what happened today.

I brought out four guinea pigs.
Watched them for half a second.
and left to go do other tasks because I got distracted....

And had my coworker tell me like fifteen minutes later that one or two of the guinea pigs were bleeding and may need to be isolated. 

*exhales*
So upon investigation.
One of the already established guinea pigs in the cage had a small bit mark on it's leg that had already scabbed over. No big deal. It wasn't visible and wasn't causing issues, so he could stay.

But the guinea pig I'd just got out of our isolation room....
Not so much.
He had a bleeding wound on the ear....
And a rather large gash in his cheek that was bleeding. 

Which means....back into isolation he had to go. >.< 
Where he'll stay until those wounds heal up.
Which hopefully won't be longer than a week or so.
But we'll see. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment