Saturday, December 15, 2018

A Needed Pair

Had a gentleman come into the store today wanting two parakeets because he wants to breed them.
The only problem?
Often our parakeets come in too young to be able to tell the gender.
As they're usually 3-4 months old when they come in.

And the coloration above their beaks only starts to come in around 3-4 months old. 
So we get a mixture of birds where we're like "Oh yes!  This is a boy/girl" and others where we're like "I don't know."

Unfortunately for the gentleman, out of the four birds he was considering.
I could only tell that one of them looked to be a female.
The other three didn't have the coloration yet to tell for sure their genders, so I could only make guesses on what colors I could see.

And the guy was so set on having a boy and girl....
That he ended up going "I want this other one! I'm sure it's a boy! And if I'm wrong, well that's on me."

….Okay then. 

When I caught the bird and looked closer at the beak....it didn't quite look like a boy's coloration....but again...the color hadn't fully come in yet.

Hopefully he got lucky and ended up with the pair he wanted....

Though I honestly don't know why he wants to breed them in the first place....

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment