Tuesday, February 16, 2021

White Fungus

My VP Manager has a tendency to drop random phone calls on me at work.

Mostly because I tend to have the most experience with animals and so when a customer asks a PetCare related question that the VP doesn't know, they tend to hand the phone off to me.

Which is always 'fun' because I never know what I'm going to get into by answering the phone as my VP doesn't always tell me the situation before placing the phone in my face.

In this case, the customer was calling to ask about a Fungus problem she had been having for the past couple months.

Where a white fungus has been growing in her tank. Thick enough to be like 'batting' aka the stuffing in the middle of quilts and such.

And that she's cleaned it off multiple times but it keeps growing back.

And like most situations "Nothing has changed." in the customer's life to cause this to happen.

...pretty sure something has changed, otherwise the fungus wouldn't be growing.

But after getting a bit more information about the care and such that they'd been taking of the tank....

I was no closer to figuring out why it was growing. 

And unfortunately...I don't carry any products to kill fungus growth in tanks. Sure I have fungus cure for fish...but the customer said that her fish were fine. No fungus there.

In the end, I suggested to the customer that they take out all their decorations and boil it and then let it dry for a few days.

As well as take the gravel out and replace it--though the customer did ask if she could boil the gravel too...which yah, probably...depending on how much work you want to do with that.

i also suggested deep cleaning the filter that they have.

And then to wait a few days before putting anything back to see if the fungus would still continue to grow.

Because if it didn't...obviously the source was in either the decor or the rocks. 

And if it did....then there was a problem in the water or possibly the filter. 

So yah....

Probably not the solution that the customer was looking for....but it's the only idea I had that might work to get rid of it all.

Guess we'll see.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment