Tuesday, March 2, 2021

No Care Right?

 I had a customer come into the store today with their three children, one of which was carrying a large glass bowl. 

Which yah, it's not hard to imagine why the customer would be in the store if they had a fishbowl.

They're looking for a fish to keep as a pet in the bowl.

So I automatically directed them towards the betta fish as those are the 'best' fish to keep in a bowl as they tend to be the hardiest and need less maintenance than the goldfish people try to keep instead.

Only...the customer was like: "So if I get this betta fish I never need to clean the bowl right?"

I was like: "Wrong, you need to change the water once a week."

The customer didn't like that. "But I had a fish once and we kept it in a bowl and never had to change the water. What fish is like that?"

None of them dude. None of them. 

I don't know when this customer last had fish...but obviously they weren't the one to take care of it because if the fish is in the bowl then you need to change the water on it. *shakes head*

I was like "Only the betta fish can be in the bowl."

"And I don't have to change the water, right?"

....and like I get....that there was a bit of a language barrier happening here as I could tell English wasn't their first language.

But I also didn't want to continuously play ring around the rosie with the topic when I'd already done the rounds like thrice. 

So I said: "You'll need to add in more water when the water in the bowl gets low."

Because at least there would be some fresh water added in...

In any case. I left the customer and their family to pick out their fish.

Only to have them come up to me a bit later and the customer be like "And I don't need any food right?"

Like...dude...did you have a pet rock as a kid? 

ALL animals NEED to EAT. *shakes head* Geez. 

I'm pretty certain that whatever fish in a bowl the customer had growing up...either they never were the ones to take care of it and therefore never saw all the work put into keeping the fish alive. Or else they might have had one of those 'plant in a bowl' sort of set ups where the plant 'feeds' the betta and 'keeps' the water cleaner and hence why 'it never needed anything done' with it. 

But no. I was like "No you need to feed the fish."

"Once a week?"

Dude no. "Every Day." 

It's an animal. Animals need to eat constantly (unless you're a snake) so feed the fish every day. *shakes head*

Honestly...who knows how that fish is gonna do with the family...hopefully okay, but time will tell.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment