Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Replace My Light

It started this morning, when my manager asked what our return policy on our tanks was because a customer wanted to know if they were still within the timeframe of being able to return part of the set up as their light had stopped working.

My manager had thought it was 90 days, but I had to correct them and say that it was 60 days. Just like every single other product (with the exception of live animals) in the store. 

So if the customer was over the 60 days they wouldn't be able to make a return, but I did tell my other manager that depending on the tank sometimes the brand company (the ones who make the tank and put their name on it) have longer guarantees that they customer could check out online and see.

I didn't hear anything more on it...until a couple of hours later.

When one of my stockers came up to me with the phone in hand saying that a customer needed help with a fish tank question.

I pick up the phone and it's the same customer my manager had talked to earlier.

Where they had purchased a tank from us 'recently' and they wanted to know if they would be able to return/exchange out a light that had come with the tank kit that they'd bought as it wasn't working properly.

And I was like "That depends...when did you purchase the tank?" as we only have a 60 day return policy. So if the item is over 60 days we can't do a return. 

The customer said that they'd bought it "In March." 

And I had to stop them there because the way they'd said 'in March' made it sound like March of 2020 aka LAST YEAR which is a year too late to do anything. And with how they'd been talking earlier it didn't seem like they meant that the tank had been purchased within the last 30 days either. So I had to clarify as I honestly think they didn't realize that it was still March. It may be the last day...but yah still March. 

And they were like "Oh this March." 

So I was like "You bought it within the last three weeks?"

To which they responded "No, it's been like 6ish weeks?"

"So mid february?"

"Maybe the end of February?"

*exhales*

Which this would have gone so much quicker if the customer had kept their receipt, but they hadn't and half the reason why they were calling was to see if we could look up the receipt for them. 

So I tried. I pulled up their account on the computer to see what I could find....

And I didn't find any tank purchase. Found a ton of Skinny Pig purchases (they'd bought like SEVEN skinny pigs in the last month and a half) and a couple fish purchases but nothing indicating that the customer had bought a tank within the last 60 days. 

The customer was like "But isn't there anything you can do?! Can I try and look it up on the website or something?"

There wasn't anything I could do as our store only holds records for 60 days in our system.

And I highly doubted that the website was that sophisticated as to keep track of all the purchases, so I suggested that the customer go through their bank statements and such to see if they could pinpoint which purchase from our store was their tank purchase and depending on the date on said statement I might be able to do something.

It was a few hours later that my petcare person took yet another phone call and I just knew it was this same fish tank customer.

And the associate ended up handing the phone over to me, and yep, same customer.

They'd discovered that their SO had been the one to buy the tank and that their statements showed they'd purchased it at the end of JANUARY (that's hardly March you silly customer) and they wanted to know if they'd still be able to return the tank light if it was a couple of days over the 60 days.

Which again. I would need a receipt to prove that that was the timeframe the tank was bought in.

They ended up giving me their email address to see if that would pull up more receipts.

Which it did. And luckily for them the last one it pulled up (aka the earliest receipt on record) was the receipt for their tank. 

Honestly though, with how persistent the customer was being about trying to get this light replaced (which is funny because my coworker said that they had said it had been broken for a month but for the entire month they hadn't thought about trying to replace it??? people are weird) that I was about ready to say "Yah sure whatever, bring in the light and stop bugging me."

But thankfully we found the receipt. So it makes it easier to do the whole return and such to get the new light.

Thankfully I didn't have to deal with the return itself as the customer is supposed to have come in after I left for the day.

But hopefully we don't hear from them again.

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment