Saturday, September 12, 2020

Stand Back

One thing that I've become more aware of during this pandemic is how many people are like 'close talkers' where they have to be within a foot of you in order to be talking to you.

They're not comfortable with speaking from a distance.

They have to basically be right in your face.

Which with the pandemic going on...isn't the best of ideas.

Even if the customer is wearing a mask.

And it's frustrating that you can't just like...subtly back up a step.

No, like today I had this guy who had all these questions about his five gallon tank and what type of fish he wanted to get for the tank and the tank set up and such.

And like he was one of those people who had to be within a foot of me.

Like I would take a step back and he would take two steps forward sort of guy.

Which is annoying.

So annoying.

Because I much prefer being subtle in keeping my social distancing.

Backing up a step so I can keep further away.

And not having to tell the customer anything.

But no. Like turning to show the dude different products and trying to increase my distance he would walk with me. Be basically glued to my side.

And internally I'm just like "Dude get away from me."

But externally I didn't say anything.

Which really I should, but in the moment I was focused on trying to answer the guy's questions as quickly as possible so I could break away from him and move to a different part of the store.

But yah.

Note to self.

If I have a close talker politely ask them to stand back if they can't take the subtle hints that I have to keep my distance. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment