Saturday, May 7, 2016

Broken Lock

So, I came in to work this morning and noticed that our reptile cages looked slightly different.
Mostly in that a cage that had had an 'empty' sign in it yesterday....no longer did.
The glance told me that a couple of snakes had been moved around.
Though I didn't find out the reason why until when the manager who'd worked last night came in for his shift.

He told me that the bottom locks on the cage (because that bigger bottom cage had two locks on it so you can access it from two different locations.)
Were broken.
They couldn't get the locks to twist at all, to lock the cage back up.
So...anyone could just slide open the door and take the snake.
Or...the snake could possibly figure out how to pull open the door from the inside and escape.

So they'd moved it into a different cage until they could get the locks fixed.

O.o
This was....odd because those locks had been working just fine the day before and the day before that....

So I went over to them.
One lock worked just fine.
The other though, was stuck.
You stuck the key in, and the latch wouldn't move at all.
But fiddling around with it,
I figured out that the screw that held the lock together had gotten a tad too loose.
Which probably caused the rest of the lock to get out of it's grooves.
And so make it impossible to move.

So, with even more fiddling, which took taking a part the lock, and getting the main piece into the correct grooves in order to turn, as well as getting the latch in the right position and then getting the screw back in place to hold it all together without getting anything out of alignment...

I managed to fix the lock!
So once more it works. :)
Which probably made the snake very happy.
As he's a big guy, like three feet spread out.
And he'd been stuck in a tank that was like...a third of the big tanks size.

So I put him back in his home.
And went and told the manager that I'd fixed the lock.

lol. He was surprised.
"How?!" He demanded. "I tried to get that lock to work and I had no luck!"

So I told him why I thought it wasn't working, and that I'd taken it a part and put it back together again. :)

Yay for me being able to fix it! :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment