Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Do. Not. Enter.

So there I was, in the back behind the fish tanks trying to hurry and finish cleaning the dishes I'd been washing in order to put them (food bowls, water bottles, hides, wheels) back into the small pet (Hamsters, Mice, Chinchillas, Guinea Pigs) cages. 

It's not the quietest back there. 
With the whirr of the fish system a constant buzz in the background as well as the sound of running water from both the sink and the fish tanks themselves...it's not always easy to hear things going on beyond about like two feet. 

And I was focused. I was off the floor. I was out of sight of any customers. Washing, cleaning, rinsing, putting away, organizing etc etc. 

I was rinising of the wheels at the sink when for whatever reason, I happened to look up. Towards the doorway leading into the main part of the store.
I don't know if I heard something, or sensed something, or just caught movement from the corner of my eye.

But when I looked up.
There was an old gentleman standing there, gesturing at me, saying something...though due to the fish system, I couldn't make it out. 

But what I was mentally trying to do as I turned off the sink and dried my hands off to approach this guy....was...why was he back there? Was it some sort of maintenance man? Was it a customer? It definitely wasn't a coworker. 

But I was confused why anyone but a coworker would be back here.
Because clearly on the door is a sign that says "Employees Only." Meaning NO CUSTOMERS SHOULD BE ENTERING IT!

Yet, here he was. A customer.
And what did he need?
Mealworms. 

Which I only had the 35 count in stock currently -He wanted the 100 which I've been out of for like two months.- 

So I open the fridge we keep the mealworms in -he was standing right next to it- pulled out the 35 count and handed it to him.

And he politely went on his way.

But still, I'm left a bit confused.
Like....why in the world had he come back there anyways?
A coworker would have told me -since we have walkie-talkies now- that there was a customer needing help. So obviously he hadn't gone to a coworker.

So I can only guess, that he heard me back there making noise. And so ventured back there (instead of you know, finding my coworker who was already out on the floor....) to find help for his needs.

And while I admire his gumption for finding me.
I am rather irritated that they ignored the "Employees Only" sign and interrupted me. *exhales* 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment