Saturday, May 2, 2020

Not Selling

You gotta love how people listen to things....but don't actually hear things.

So, due to the pandemic and being on a skeleton staff, corporate has decided that my department -the one that sells the animals- will close earlier than the rest of the store.

Meaning that one to two hours before the main store closes, my department will stop selling pets. 

To let customers know that this is occurring, we finally posted signs telling people what time my department was closing. 

But we also do these overhead announcements that basically say "Hey this department is closing in fifteen minutes, if you need to buy a pet please see an associate." blah blah blah. 

We did that today. Like 30 minutes before, 15 minutes before, 5 minutes before, and that the department is now closed.

Well at that point I was on register. 
And a customer comes up with their purchases.
Looking rather frantic. 
"I'm so sorry I didn't know you were closing so early!"

To which I corrected them. "No, the main store doesn't close for 2 more hours, it's just the petcare department has closed meaning we won't be selling any more animals for the rest of the night." 

"You can't sell product?!" 

"No. We can't sell animals."

"Animals?"

'Yes. Fish. Birds etc. because of policy."


"OH!" 

Like....I said right off that we weren't selling animals. Not that the store was closing. Not that people couldn't buy product.

I just.....dunno. 
It felt like I was repeating myself multiple times to multiple different customers who for whatever reason...weren't comprehending the words coming from my mouth.

It was frustrating. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment