Saturday, May 16, 2020

Press the Button

It had been rather crazy at work today. Like barely room to breathe sort of crazy where it was basically going from customer to customer to customer helping them. 
But I found a moment to step behind the fishwall for a breather. Like maybe for two minutes tops. 
And when I came out with my manager who had also paused behind the fishwall for a breather, we discovered a man and his son trying to bag their own crickets.

My manager was quick to point out "That's not a self service station, sir."

To which the guy flippantly stated "Well, there was no one standing here."

Like...yah...there wasn't anyone standing there. It's not like we hire someone just to stand at the cricket podium their entire shift waiting for people to come get crickets. 
It wasn't even a thing before the whole pandemic hit. 
And it's even less of a thing now when we're on a skeleton crew and there's only three people in the store and it's a busy saturday afternoon where everyone has come in needing help and we're trying to ensure people don't wait too long to get assistance even though it's nearly impossible when there's just me in the department because we only have three people and the third person is currently backing up the cashier. 

*exhales* 
But like. We literally had been away from the podium for two minutes and the dude didn't even try to find anyone or ask for help.

We were like "There's a button to call for service."

"I don't see it." Was his response. He said it in such a way that I could tell he thought we were making it up. 
We gestured to the button on the podium that said "Need an associate press here" on it. 

In any case.
I ended up helping him finish get his small crickets that he'd been attempting to bag.
And sent him on his way while I went to go help other customers in the department.

It may have been like ten minutes later that our radios rang with the 'there's a customer waiting in aquatics' voice indicating that someone had pressed the button and needed help.

Finishing up as quickly as I could with the customer I was helping, I made my way over to the cricket podium and rounded the corner in time to see the boy that the man had been with running away from the podium to the doors where the man waited where they quickly left the store.

...
...
... 
I'm guessing they were testing the button?? *shakes head* I'm not sure. Or was it just a vindictive thing? Who knows. 

Still.
Gotta love dealing with the self-entitled customers who think they're in the right when they're not.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment