Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Remove the Gloves!

There are those random days when a customer just sets off your irritation buzzer.
Like, it could be something inconsequential.
But it ends up really irritating you, for no real reason really.

Today,
I was in the middle of cleaning out hamster cages.
So I was in cleaning gear.
-Face mask, Gloves-

Nearly done with my task.
And I heard a call over the intercom system, for a particular manager to come up to the register.
Which was odd.
Because we'd basically just barely opened.

But I glanced over and saw a customer waiting to be rung up.
But no Cashier to do so.

So I wondered if it was the manager who was supposed to be on the register.
Which was bad.
Because he wasn't coming up any time soon as he was in the middle of unloading our truck that had just arrived.

So being the good helpful person I am.
I went up to the register to ring her out.
And as I was logging into the system so I could check out her stuff.

She asked me to remove the gloves I was wearing.

Why?
Because who knows where those animals have been.

Basically. "You've been cleaning I know, which means your gloves are covered in disgusting things and I don't want them touching my stuff."
A valid point. I understand it.
As I was cleaning dirty grimy cages.

So I did so.

But part of me was irritated at this.
Because 1. It's not like the cages were that messy. I hadn't even gotten to the messy cages yet that are real cause for "AH! ITS SMELLY AND MESSY!" -Aka the Mice cages.
It's not like I was handling feces or anything like that. My gloves were hardly touching anything that wasn't cleaning chemicals and paper towels because I would dump out the bedding and then use the chemicals to clean the cage, which in the process would clean my glove....

But really.
The irritation that struck a quiet nerve inside of me.
Was that I was ALMOST DONE. When I chose to go help this customer.
And to take off my medical glove things...its basically impossible to put them back on after wearing them for so long.
(they're now sweaty and gross on the inside too. Who wants to stick their hand back into a hot wet glove? Yah...not me. Especially when I'm concerned about my finger getting infected again, and I couldn't tell which way was inside out or not as I took them off in a hurry to help the customer.)
So I had to go get a brand new pair of gloves to use for like 10 more minutes of cleaning.

Its a weird thing to randomly get upset about. I know.
Like I said, the customer had a valid point. She had no idea where those gloves had been or what they'd been touching, or what the animals I was handling were like, (though its not like they're disease ridden. *rolls eyes* They're healthy bitey animals.)
And its understandable that she wouldn't want these mysterious gloves touching her things that she was purchasing because who knows what would transfer onto the packages.

But really...
I really didn't want to have to go grab new gloves when I was almost done. It was like a wasted opportunity in my mind. Those gloves could have been used for something more than 10 more minutes of cleaning like 4 more cages. *sighs*

Yah... I'm weird. ;) lol

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment