Monday, October 3, 2016

Out of the Dept

It's my habit, when I come into work, to check the work schedule.
Not only to confirm the time that I'm getting off....

but also to see who's working with me that day.

*shakes head*
It boggles my mind sometimes that my coworkers just come in to work their shifts and don't ever consider looking to see who or when someone else may be coming in to work with them.

Perhaps I'm just weird...

In any case.
I like to see who's coming in to work with me so I can plan accordingly.
As what I end up doing in my morning shifts ends up changing depending on who is coming in, what day it is, when the person is coming in, and when I should take breaks and such, etc.

That way I know how to use my time and plan things out.

Like I said....my coworkers don't seem to do that.

Today is a good example of that.

This morning I came into work and checked the schedule to see who was coming in with me. As expected it was my manager. I then checked to see who would be coming in after that point, and it wasn't anybody until I was due to get off my shift.
I also checked who would be in the dept when I left....
As it's gotten into everyone's habit to ask me who is coming in next when it comes to my dept. lol. *shakes head*

I have a knack for remembering things....

Occasionally I'll check on the Cashiering and Managering shifts as well. Just to see if there are people who can cover my breaks or not, or just for fun.

Today I just was checking my dept's schedule.

And the manager in charge, when he saw me was like:
"We have a lot of people coming in today to do pricing changes"
-As we had a sale end yesterday, which meant all those sale prices needed to come down, and then we needed to put up new sale prices for the sale that started today.
"Do you know who's coming in for you next?" he asked then. "I haven't checked the schedule yet."

Which....You'd think since he's a manager, he'd check to see who would be working while he was on shift....and where they would be working....

Maybe that's just me....

In any case he was like "So who's coming in with you?"
And I told him. "Its the manager just before the store opens, and then no one else until I leave."

"No one else is in the dept?"
"Nope. Just us two."

Which makes sense...
Considering basically half of my dept ended up coming into the store that morning to work....
but not in my dept.

They had been brought in to help with the pricing.

Two of them were already in the store when I showed up for work, already diligently working on pricing.
-These two coworkers have done pricing before so were used to it.

The next two.... lol

I was working on Dishes when my coworker showed up, looking harried, apologizing for being late as she'd been planning to call this morning to see when she worked...and ended up being called earlier in the morning to say she was late for work.

-Yah. ALWAYS check the schedule before the week starts. Never Assume with the work schedule because it can unexpectedly change without you realizing it.
This was one of those times.

So she showed up an hour late to her shift.
And once she clocked in came right to me to apologize for being late.
Which I was like "It's fine, it happens, but you're not in my dept today, you're in stocking."
(I'd happened to see her name in the stocking dept section as I flipped to my dept, so I knew that's where she was to be, plus she wasn't scheduled in my dept today)
O.o "Huh?" Was her response.
"You're scheduled to help with pricing today. Go check with the manager to see what he wants you to do."

To which she wandered off to find him.

-Obviously she hadn't checked the schedule to see where she worked.
I suppose since she's scheduled either as a Cashier or in my Dept that since we weren't open yet she'd assume that she was supposed to be opening with me.....

In any case.
A little while later, when I was in the middle of cleaning the cages for today.
My next coworker showed up.
Asking "So, do you need me to open up the floor or what?"
To which I had to smile and say. "You're not in the dept this morning. You're stocking."
O.o "Huh?" Came her confused response.
To the same reasons I listed above.
lol. "You're in to do pricing."
O.o "But....I've never done that!"
"Guess you get to learn."
So I sent her to the manager as well for him to teach her what to do.

lol.
Silly coworkers.
They would have realized if they checked the schedule that they weren't scheduled in my dept.
But again, it makes sense since it was both their first time being scheduled for Stocking that they wouldn't think they were in stocking.

In any case.
It's a good thing I had the heads up from the manager that more people were coming in for pricing. And that I had checked the schedule to see who was scheduled in my dept for the day so I knew when my coworkers should be in the dept and when they shouldn't. :)

Overall, it was rather amusing. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment