Thursday, December 1, 2016

Clearly Missing

I saved someone's life today.

Figuratively.
I suppose.

Our store had barely opened this morning when I got a call from a customer.

-Which has become quite annoying over the past couple of days as the phone for my department inexplicably somehow became broken between two of my shifts.
Which meant that we have to use another phone, and the other phone happens to be the phone that takes ALL the calls. So I end up answering a lot of questions away from my dept.
Very annoying.
At least I can help with most of them.

In any case.
Back to the story.
The customer on the phone was calling because they'd left something behind.
Not uncommon, one wrong moment of distraction and things get left in carts, at the counter, on the floor.
So we just move the product to the side and wait for the customer to realize and come back..

This is what I automatically assumed was happening when the customer started talking about a bag they'd left in their cart yesterday.

As they said Plastic Baggie.
And what else do you put in plastic baggies besides things you just bought from our store?

That wasn't the case though.
No, it was a Ziploc bag.
And this Ziploc bag....basically acted as the customer's wallet.
IDs. Credit Cards, Receipts. Random other products....

And they'd all been left in the cart when the customer went to leave.

Thankfully the Cashier had noticed.
Grabbed the bag before anyone else did,
And had a manager lock it up until the customer came back for it.

Only they never did.
It took the customer somewhere between 18-24 hours to call the store.
Asking if they'd left their bag there.

O.o I mean, I can see how people wouldn't realize for that long....but that's rather long.
Again, thankfully the Cashier had seen and had locked it up.

Only, I was unaware of all this when I took the call.
So I glanced around the registers, around the carts. Asked the managers on duty. Checked the area we keep lost items at, checked the offices.

And found nothing.
And told the customer that sorry, we didn't have it.
:( They were disappointed and hung up.

But it didn't feel right.
So I made a mental note of the number so I could find it again.
-As the number shows up on the phone.

I mentioned it to the cashier.
Who remembered the incident as they had been the one to find the item.
I had figured that the customer had left their stuff later in the day, towards closing.
But no, it had been in the morning at some point.

A quick call to the manager who'd been on duty told us where to look.
Only....it wasn't there.

O.o
Had someone else taken it?
Had it been thrown away since there were a ton of receipts in said bag?

No.
After a long long search of entering the room multiple times with different managers.
I finally found the baggy.
It had fallen in a box and been covered up.
Who knows how it fell three feet away....
But I found it!

So I was able to call the customer about ten minutes after I'd hung up with them.
and tell them that I had found their bag.

To which they were extremely relieved to avoid the hassle of having to cancel all their credit cards and get new IDs and such.

They said they were going to be right in....
So I hope that the customer go their 'wallet.'

All in all.
A pretty productive day I'd say. :D

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment