Thursday, February 16, 2017

Not Flying

This morning while I was cleaning cages, like I usually do in the morning,
Our small animal delivery guy came in.
As usual.
So I took him to the back room so we could place the animals in their temporary cages for observation until I could bring them out onto the floor to sell.
It's also the time for me to look at the animals and ensure that they appear healthy.
If I see anything not deemed 'normal' I have the ability to refuse to take that animal.
Usually it's hamsters or guinea pigs who are sick or injured.

But today.
After the guy had finished placing the birds into their temporary cage.
I noticed that one of the parakeets wasn't acting right.

In the simple fact that he wasn't flying around the cage like parakeets tend to do when they first arrive...or at any time really. They tend to be spazzy and fly around the cage.
But this particular parakeet didn't fly. It kept it's wings firmly tucked by its sides. It didn't attempt to fly at all. I could easily catch it.
It didn't attempt to fly away.
I held it in my hands and it perched there.
And didn't attempt to fly away.

Visually the bird looked normal enough.
The feathers on its belly were damp -possibly from the water jellies within the container. So the bird had a ragged look...which made it difficult to tell if it was healthy.

I tried to examine the wings.
And something was wrong with them, as the bird tried to bite me when I spread out the wings.
But I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the wings. Were they malformed slightly?
Hard to tell.

All I knew...was that the bird didn't like its wings being spread, and wouldn't fly away.

So in the end, I ended up not accepting the bird. :(

Hopefully it feels better soon.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment