Wednesday, January 24, 2018

But It's Dirt

So normally when we do our cage cleanings, if we have a cage that had an animal in it but is now empty of said animal. We take everything out of the cage and clean it before we put a new animal into it. 
But sometimes when we do this, there isn't actually an animal available to put in the cage. 
So normally, I just set the cage up in preparation for when said animal comes in. 

Which is what I expected my coworker to do when I told her that a couple empty cages needed to be cleaned out today in the reptiles because they didn't have animals in them currently but we needed to clean them before the new animals showed up. 
-I knew that wouldn't be this week though as I'd already seen the list of reptiles we were expecting and already knew those cages weren't going to be filled. 

Still. I expected my coworker to clean out the cage, and then put everything back. 
Except. When I went to check in....
The tanks were completely bare. 
Like nothing in them.
Not even the dirt we use as the bedding for those reptiles. 

So I told my coworker. "You know you can set up the cages for the reptiles, they don't need to be completely empty." 

And my coworker was like "Oh, I didn't know when the reptiles were going to be coming in, so I figured it would be better for the cage to be empty so the dirt wouldn't mold before then." 

*blinks* 
Ummm
Come again?

I mean, okay, so when the dirt in the cages gets too 'moist' like people overwater it it can on occasion grow things....
But mold?

It's DIRT.
And in the dry climate we're in...
If you don't actively do anything to said dirt....
It just gets drier.
It doesn't mold.

Seriously. Especially in our reptile cages when there's heat constantly on them...the dirt dries out pretty quickly.

It's Dirt.
Dirt doesn't mold.
(yes I'm aware it can, but it's not common here.)

*shakes head*

So yah...I ended up having to set up those cages myself.
Because it looks better to have the cage set up.
Than to have it just a blank empty space.

-Sarnic Dirchi 

No comments:

Post a Comment