Tuesday, January 23, 2018

What Guarantee?

We had a customer call the store today with a concern.
As she'd bought two hamsters, one for each of her kids.
And one hamster was super sweet....
And the other was ....well....he likes to bite. 

And she was wondering if there was anything she could do to tame the hamster down or if she could bring it back.

The main thing was....she was calling about this....three weeks after she bought the hamsters.
Which was a week over our live animal return policy 

However, the manager, who had me handle the call, said to "take care of the customer" 
Aka. Allow her to return the hamster if she wanted to return it. 

So I took up the phone call.
She explained the situation.
I told her that it was possible to mellow out the hamster by buying gardening gloves and just handling the hamster more consistently....though that wasn't a guarantee of calming down the hamster. 

And that we usually didn't return hamsters after two weeks as it's past the policy.

And she was like. OH. I wasn't even aware that there was a return policy!

>.< Apparently, whoever had sold her the hamsters...had neglected to tell her that she had two week to bring the hamster(s) back for any reason. 

So I was like. "Well since you weren't aware of the guarantee, you can still have you return the hamster." 
Though I qualified it, because otherwise it might be another month before I saw her. Where I was like "But you need to come in tonight, because you're already a week over the policy."
And if she came tonight it made it more likely that there would be no misunderstandings or miscommunication because there are less people I need to remember to tell about the situation. 

Idk if she came in or not....I'll probably find out tomorrow morning if I see a hamster return lol. 

But it did mean that I had to go around to my coworkers (and will need to do so for the next couple of shifts) and remind them that they need to tell the customer about our return policy.

I had one coworker who was like "OH, I just tell them to read it."
And I'm like..."People don't read. Tell them." It's easier to know that the customer actually knows about our policies than to assume that they do because they 'might have read it' 
Like seriously. People don't read the paperwork. 
They fill out the lines they're supposed to and call it good. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment