Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Hold That Surgery

We had a bit of a close call today.

You remember the 3rd chinchilla that we had to isolate yesterday for a lump on the side of his face?

Well. 
We took him over to the vet yesterday.
But I hadn't heard back from them before I left.

So, upon seeing that he hadn't yet been returned to the store.
I called the vet this morning to see what the diagnosis was.

And they were like "Oh yes! He needs surgery which you guys approved last night, so we'll be doing that in a little bit and then you can come pick him up later today!"

I was like "Okay!"

But internally I was like. O_o???
Because...surgery?

Usually we have to get corporate approval to do surgeries. 
As we're only allowed to spend so much money on treating animals before we need to get approval for the higher ups. 

So to hear that a surgery had been approved...set off slight alarm bells in my head.
As approved by who??

As our VP manager hadn't been present yesterday night to give the approval.

And since it's been a long while since we've needed to get corporate approval for a vet treatment...I figured that my newer managers didn't know that well...we had a limit.

Turns out I was right. The newest manager had taken the call...and apparently approved it.

Luckily.

I tend to tell my managers stuff.
And the VP manager was currently working.

So after I hung up with the Vet I was like "So they're doing surgery and got approval last night."

The manager was like !?!?!?! because...he knows that that's not how it works and that we need to get corporate approval first.

And so he called the vet right back to get more details and such and to tell them to put a hold on that surgery.
As with totalling everything up...the estimation for the surgery was waaay above our limit for vet visits and definitely needed approval. 

Ergo.
We needed to go file all the proper paperwork and such first.
And then call the vet back to give them the go ahead.

Which...we hadn't heard back, to my knowledge, before I left today.
And it can take like 48 hours to get back to us....

In the meantime, the vet is keeping the chinchilla as the lump might pop on its own without having to be drained. 

Soooo we'll see how it all turns out. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment