Thursday, February 6, 2020

Stuck

I had a moment of confusion when I opened up our leopard gecko cage this morning. 
Because there were no indications that the cage was empty.
And I knew that we had had one leopard gecko yesterday.

So to be safe, I checked the cage...and yes...there was no leopard gecko there.

....Until I checked the log I had pulled out.

And discovered that it was hollower than I thought it was.

Holding the log up so I could see into it...I saw movement. A flash of yellow.
And then, upon shining my phone light into it.....I saw him.
The leopard gecko. 
Wedged about halfway down into this log that I hadn't realized had become hollow.

As normally this particular piece of wood is used in our Chinese Water Dragon cages instead.

Which I made a mental note to never put this particular piece of wood in with the leopard geckos again. 

Which I couldn't do....until I got the leopard gecko out of the log. 

And the stubborn thing wasn't coming out. 

I tried reaching it with long thin objects.
Tried flushing him out with warm and cold water.
Tried shaking him out.

Nothing.
Stubborn thing was wedged in there.

Until my coworker suggested sawing open the log so we could reach him.
Unfortunately...we don't have a saw at work.
But I saw cracks in the wood and knew that there was a screw driver nearby.

So I grabbed that and my coworker set to work breaking off chunks of the log by tearing open those cracks with the screw driver.

 Until we could see the leopard gecko!!
...and the stubborn thing decided to go wedge himself deeper into the log.

*exhales*

However.
With more perseverance. 
We finally managed to convince him to come out!

Woot!!

I mean the log was destroyed.

But at least we saved the leopard gecko and got him back into his cage. 

Note to self: Check wood for holes before placing in reptile cages. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment