Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Is it a Girl?

So when I came into work yesterday morning.
I noticed on one of the charts in our iso room that one of my coworkers had put in the notes that they thought the guinea pig that we were treating was a girl.

Which....considering we're a 'boy only' store....is a bad thing if the guinea pig was indeed a girl.

Which a quick check of the animal in question showed me that it was indeed.... a boy.

So I crossed out the 'Girl' written on the chart and wrote "it's a boy." 

And thought that would be the last of it.

It wasn't.
I came into work this morning to see my coworker had added to the note. "But it has nipples?" 

Which....yes....the guinea pig did have those.
But so did every other guinea pig we have in the store.
And I could tell that they were all boys too.

But I wasn't sure if the two things on the guinea pig were called 'nipples' or not....so I ended up doing a quick google search to make sure I was telling my coworkers the proper thing.

and yep.
Both boy and girl guinea pigs will have two visible nipples on them. Though the females would be more pronounced and therefore since both genders have them, you can't use them as an indicator of which gender you have.

So I made sure to leave multiple notes around where my coworkers could see them so help them know this little bit of information.

But I could see why my coworker was confused.

As we had a wave, a bit ago, of people claiming our animals were girls instead of boys. Mostly in the hamsters and mice.
And I got fed up with it because we're a boy only store. And so I printed out a diagram showing exactly how to tell the difference in gender between the hamsters and the mice.
And for those rodents only the females will have visible nipples.
So it makes sense why my coworker would be confused if they were remembering this paper that I had printed out.

But yah...it's always 'fun' to have to do research first thing in the morning. *shakes head* Makes me wonder why my coworkers didn't just...google it themselves....

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment