Tuesday, February 18, 2020

No Email!

It's so weird how...uptight customers can be about providing their email addresses to us.

Like yes. I get that people don't like getting spam mail. 
And my work can get a bit heavy handed on occasion by sending a ton of emails related to different promotions and deals and such. 

But like.
You can always choose to unsubscribe from the emails.

And like it's an issue that we've encountered more often now that we changed our system so that you have to have an email address in order to earn points for the store. 

And more often it's the older customers who don't want to have to deal with the emails.
Or you know...don't even have an email. 

So today.
I ended up stuck on the register for like half an hour.
While our actual cashier and manager dealt with a difficult customer who was causing problems on register one. (We think they may have been trying to scam us.) 

In any case.
The customer I was helping willing gave their phone number.

But when it came up on the screen....it showed just their phone number.
So in order to get the discounts...they would need to provide a few more bits of information...including the email address in order to get their discounts.

But when I brought up that we needed to update the customer's information.

They just gave me like this....blank stare for a good two minutes straight.
Like their brain wasn't processing what I was saying. 
Even though I tried a couple other ways to explain what was happening.

They were like "but I haven't had this issue before...." 

Thankfully they willingly gave their name.

But when I asked for the email.
Nope.
They weren't giving me that.

Because they didn't want to be spammed by mail.

Which made the effort of filling out the rest of the information pointless because we can't give the discounts without the email address. 

*exhales*

I ended up overriding this.
Because the customer was keeping an eye on the discounts and such.
And I didn't feel like having the customer cause a scene especially when they're like "I've never had an issue before." 

And considering we've had this system in place for over a year...and this customer seems like a regular....means that other cashiers have probably override the program to give them the discount.

At least the customer didn't end up causing further problems once they saw they were getting their discounts.
So yay.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment