Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Too Many Goldfish

So. Many Gold Fish.
So. Very. Many Goldfish.

I got in our shipment of goldfish today.
Which is great.
Considering I was down to like 20 large goldfish.
That's it.

Normally not a big deal to get in a new shipment.
Until I looked at the manifest for how many we were getting in.

We were getting in 1600 small goldfish. ()_()
1600.
Usually we only get in 800.
But for some reason they decided to double that particular size order.

Along with our normal 300 large, and 800 extra small....

I was going to place in nearly 3,000 fish into our fish system.
O.O
All at once.

Not always a good thing.
Especially with goldfish.
As they give off a lot of ammonia into the water already.
Adding 3,000 to a nearly empty system at once.

I could already picture me having to fish out bodies by the netful over the next couple of days.

But it wasn't like I could just leave them in the bags for days on end.

So I did what I could.
I made sure that all our goldfish tanks had their locklines working and flowing.
And chose to utilize two of our tanks that normally stay empty.
As we usually have two tanks of large.
Empty tank.
Two tanks of small.
Empty Tank.
Two tanks of extra small.

I decided that instead of placing 800 small fish into each of the normal two tanks.
That I would use the two empty tanks and divide the fish up so that there would be no more than 400 gold fish in any tank.

Which helps to keep them from overstressing if there's less of them per tank.

Now....
My only problem is to ensure that the locklines stay open.
As they can clog up easily, suddenly.
And....my coworkers aren't really known for checking to make sure that the goldfish are getting fresh flowing water.

Otherwise.....
Yah. Nets and nets of dead fish....

Hopefully we can avoid that situation.
*fingers crossed*

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment