Saturday, June 4, 2016

Called In...Or Not

It's become rare for me to get called into work.
Mostly because I work full time.
So I don't have much leeway in taking on other people's shifts when they call out.
Not without getting overtime, which nobody really likes to give.

So it was a surprise to wake up to work calling me on my day off.
Since....I had a full schedule of hours.
and they usually only call if they need someone to cover a shift.

But I wondered if it was some other problem that they knew only I knew the answer to.

Nope.

They were calling because one of my coworkers had called out sick.
And everyone else they'd called hadn't been able to come in, or hadn't responded.

So the solution they'd come up with.
Was that I would come in on my day off.
And then the next day when I was scheduled to work, they would call in someone else to cover me for that shift.

Me. I like to help out when I can. As I have no desire to have my work crash and burn because we're short on staff.

So I said yes.
Got ready.
Drove to work.
Parked.
Turned off the car, and was reaching to grab my stuff.
When my phone rang.

O.o
It was work.

I picked up expecting them to ask me where I was.
And I was going to tell them I'd just pulled up.

But no.

They were calling,
To tell me that two of my coworkers who they hadn't heard from...
Had just shown up to cover my sick coworker.
So they wanted to know if they could cancel me, and still have me work my normal shift the next day.

I'm pretty easy going.
So I said. Sure. It was fine.
Not letting them know that I was sitting out in the parking lot talking to them. lol.

It wasn't much skin off my back.
I live near enough to work that it wasn't a big hassle or waste of gas to drive there only to not work.

So I went back home.
And enjoyed my day off. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment