Saturday, June 3, 2017

Here and Now

So there was a woman who said she wanted a cat.
But my coworker was busy in the middle of the task, and me with nothing tying me up at the moment, volunteered to help out.
I asked the woman "So you want a cat?"
And she gave me this blank look before a few seconds too late responding with a 'yes.' 
So I lead her over to the cats and asked her which one she wanted to adopt.
And she was like "I don't know his name, I already gave him a new name in my head which is the nickname of a name, which is Houdini..." 
O.o Okay.... like...I can understand not knowing the cat's name...but you could have given me a description....
Turns out it was the black cat we had in our adoption area that she wanted.

Only she had a slight problem.
She didn't have enough cash on her.
And she stated that if she went to an ATM it would only let her withdraw $40. No more. 
....Which sounded odd to me....unless she had a set withdrawal limit placed on her card?? I know you can withdraw more than that. 

In any case.
She was trying to wheedle me down the $10 difference from the cash she could access and the cost of the cat.
Which I couldn't do. 
Because we don't set the prices. The adoption group does, and unless the adoption group specifies the cats can go for a lower price....the price doesn't change.

However I told her that she didn't need to go to an ATM to get the cash back.
That she could use her debit card and just do two transactions at our registers by buying a small item and asking for $40 cash back the first time, and $10 back the second time.

Which....She didn't comprehend at all.
Which totally confused me because this woman is the second woman in like the last month who's had trouble comprehending being able to split transactions to get more cash back...
*shakes head*

In any case.

I sent the woman off to go get a couple of small cat toys to go get her cash back before she did any of the paperwork.... 

Because I thought it best if she had the money on hand.
And...just some of her conversation just struck me as....odd....

Like she wanted the cat...but was disappointed that with the $50 she just got the cat. Nothing else. 
*shrugs* 

So I told her to come find me when she was ready to fill out the paperwork....

Only for me to realize two or three hours later....
That the woman had never come back...
A quick check of the cat cages showed me that the cat was still there....
So none of my coworkers had done the adoption in my stead....

So it looked like the woman had left....
I wondered if it was to get cash from the ATM like she mentioned earlier....
But by the end of my shift....she hadn't returned.....

Turns out another coworker had interacted with her before I had....
And apparently this customer is super impulsive, and super impatient.
If she sees it and wants it then she wants it NOW. 

Apparently she had other errands to run that day because she needed a new phone and needed it NOW among other things.
Which I guess....when she realized how much money she would need to spend on a cat to get everything it would need....
She didn't have the patience or the time to focus on that impulse.

For which I'm grateful.
Cats shouldn't be an impulsive buy.
No animal should. 

And thankfully, the woman didn't come back for the cat later either. 
Which means I guess her impulsive streak with the cat had faded.
Or she'd forgotten about it. 

Again. I'm grateful.
I don't know how good of a life the cat would have had with this impulsive customer....

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment