Tuesday, October 27, 2020

I Need Bigger

Gotta love the paranoid customers. 

Like I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing to over explain things at work. 

But I often ask customers how long their drive home is when I am bagging their fish.

And this is so I can make sure I grab the appropriate sized bag to put their fish in. As I have customers come from up to 4 hours away and the small bags really are only good for an hour and a half while the larger bags can be good for that 4 hour distance.

So I ask to check. And then I'll be like "Okay this bag is good for an hour and a half, if you had a longer drive I'd give you a bigger bag."

Most people are like "Okay cool."

But there are some individuals who get like....paranoid?

idk if that's the right world. I also feel like they get 'me centric' in that they feel like they should receive 'special treatment.'

But the customers get paranoid about the size of the bag and insist I give them a bigger bag...even though they indicated to me that their drive was only a short distance away.

A lot of the time it's the customers from the southern end of the valley -a 20ish minute drive from my store- that end up being like this. They feel like they need a large bag in order to get home in time...when the small bag that's good for an hour and a half would be enough for them.

That was the situation today.

Where a customer decided that they wanted to get some fish.

Mind you--I'd already talked to them once about over crowding their 10 gallon tank, but they insisted that they wanted to add 5 more fish to their tank when they already had 4 other fish at home and we only recommend having between 5-6 fish in a 10 gallon tank.

But they insisted that they'd read on the internet that they could have more fish without problem.

In any case.

I asked them the standard question on if their drive home is under an hour or over.

And the customer said under.

So I grabbed the small bag that's good for 1.5 hours and as I'm writing on the bag explain that they're good for 1.5 hours and that I'd give you a bigger bag if the drive was longer.

And the customer was like !!!! Oh, I need a bigger bag!

And I'm like O_o?? Because they just told me their drive was under an hour. So I reiterate that they have plenty of time to get home in the hour and a half period.

"I have a lot of fish" came their next response. 

Which 5 fish is not a lot of fish. And I tell the customer that the small bag is good to hold 6 fish in it so the small bag should still be fine.

To which they were like "I just don't want them to die, can you put them in a larger bag?"

*exhales*

Like...dear customer. What are you planning to do? WALK home in the cold and take three hours to do it? The fish would have been fine in the smaller bag. *shakes head*

Plus I'd already written on the smaller bag so like...thanks for nothing making me waste a bag because the odds of having someone want the exact same fish aren't that high. 

But yah...I gave the customer their bigger bag. Even though they truly didn't need it. *shakes head* Giving you a bigger bag won't ensure that the fish won't die. Especially if it's a short distance away.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment