Saturday, May 16, 2015

MLAARE -Communication Mishap

Do you ever have those situations where things just get crazy hectic and things are misunderstood and you don't have time to properly explain them nor are you sure you want to in the moment?
Yah.
Got that today.
>.<
So there I was, at the fish wall.
Bagging fish.
There were like 3 different people waiting for me.
I was helping an older gentleman.
There was a wife/husband/child nearby. Child was screaming.
So in a half conversational way I just said.
"Sounds like he needs a nap."
As I was trying to talk to the wife.
Just to empathize  you know? Screaming kids. No Bueno.

But I said it just as the girl moved away.
And the older gentleman came up behind me.
And was like "Oh, is he yours?"

O.o
I have no idea why he thought that at all.
I told him no.
He wasn't mine. He was the woman's over there. (which she probably didn't take kindly too...I said it quickly, but I can see how it can be taken in a "I can't believe she brought her kid here!' sort of way.)
I wouldn't be allowed to bring my kids to work. O.o I have no idea why he'd think he was mine....
So weird to even think about.

And it wasn't like I was purposely having a conversation with this guy about the woman's child.
I was going to try and say to the woman "Sorry I meant to be talking to you, he just was there all of a sudden."
But it was noisy.
It was hectic.
I was just conversing so I didn't go crazy with how noisy the store was being and having screaming kids not helping.

And the woman basically said to me. "Don't say my child needs a nap. He doesn't." Something along those lines. A basic "I can't believe you were talking about my child to other people! Don't do it."
Which I wasn't trying to purposely. I was trying to talk to her. To empathize with her having to deal with her kid and that was the first thing that came to mind.
I couldn't help that the other gentleman decided to comment, nor that he continued to do so.
I didn't have time to correct the situation beyond saying a quick "I'm sorry."
As I didn't mean for it to be mean nor demeaning nor whatever way she took it. I can understand why. But I didn't mean it that way. At all. Just trying to converse that backfired. >.<
Sometimes I hate talking to people... *sighs*

At least the sorry seemed to help.
When I finally came back to her I had no desire at all to explain what I meant, because by that point the time had passed, and it would be awkward to try and explain.
Thankfully, it seemed the sorry helped to sweep things under the rug.
As she was polite and gracious as I helped her get her own fish. And I feel like we left things on a good note. Hopefully she hasn't been mulling over the situation all day like I've been doing.
*sighs* >.< Brain needs to stop blowing things out of proportion.

In any case. I helped them out.
All was well.


It also helped the gentleman quietly apologized for getting me into trouble as he was leaving. I think he recognized the situation had gotten slightly out of hand and took partial responsibility for that.

So all around.
It's good.

I hope.
I think.

Yah...it's good. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment