Monday, May 25, 2015

MLAARE -An Extra Shift

I nearly got called into work on my day off.
Nearly.
Because it didn't happen.

But there I was, minding my own business,
When my phone rings.
Considering my phone basically never rings.
I knew it was work.
Who else calls me, but work?
Not many people.

Sure enough it was.
Hey, Sarnic, would you be able to come in today from 1-6 so and so called in sick again.
I considered. "Who else is there?"
"This person and that person."

"How long are they staying?"
"Til this time."
"Oh...." I considered. My church started at 130. I didn't want to miss church today. And so I told my manager that. But I still wanted to be helpful. "I could come in at 230 and stay til 6." I offered.

But.
It wasn't the 1-6 shift that my manager needed.

If I was in their shoes, I would have asked the person there if they could stay until 230 when I could come in. Just a couple of hours later really. Then they could go home, and I would come in to cover the shift...

Only....my manager didn't see it like that.
They needed the 1-6 slot filled, and since I couldn't come in for the first hour....
Obviously that meant I wasn't available.

So instead of asking my coworker if they could stay just an hour later.
They instead asked if the coworker who opened that morning, could stay the entire day.
Work the entire shift.

Which my coworker accepted (Hey, more money!)

Still.
I think it's rather crazy.
What was so wrong with having two people cover one shift?

I don't know.
I'm just grateful that I didn't have to go into work on my day off. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment