Thursday, July 2, 2015

MLAARE -Tarantula Cleaning

Spiders are creepy.
The way they move their legs as they wander about.
It's just....disturbing. Weird. Totally creepy.

And now we sell them in our store. Tarantulas.

Personally, I was hoping that we'd sell through the spiders quickly enough, that I would never need to change their cages out, and risk getting bitten, or worse having them escape into the store. :S

If not that, then at least, have me not be scheduled to clean their cages when it came time to clean it out.

Sadly, that's not how it went today. :(
Well....it could have gone that way.
As another coworker had taken the side that housed the tarantula. I technically could have avoided handling it at all.
Instead I had the side with the scorpion. Which also I would rather not have anything to do with, but I managed to clean that cage with no problems.
My other coworker was busy...
So I took on the challenge.

At first,
It was easy.
Using the end of a small hand broom I gently nudged the creature into a separate container, letting me quickly clean the cage.
I thought it would be just as easy to get the little creepy thing back into its smaller container.  
Not so.

It crawled right in, right out, onto the edge.
So fast.
So creepy.
Ahh!
I was afraid it was going to escape!
It was basically escaped!
Not contained, in the open air of the store. It was basically escaped!
And there was no way I was going to try and pick it up.
I did not want to end up bitten, did not want it to crawl anywhere on me.

So how was I to get the thing back into its cage when it was clinging to the outside.
I tried the small broom handle.
And managed to get it into the bigger container...
For it to climb right out of that.
For it to climb on the broom.
For it to climb all over.

Oh, it was terrifying how quickly it moved.
Literally it could in a totally different area in two seconds.
Gah!
Literally I wanted to scream and run away.
At any second it could be on me, could be biting me, could be *shudders*
But I persevered.
Getting more worried as well, for the store was just opening, people were coming in to shop. And I had a spider that could escape further than the outside edge of the container I was trying to get it into.

Finally though.
I got it inside its cage.
Back to where it could no longer escape.
Locked away.

Gah. Totally terrifying.
I never want to have to deal with that again.
Its only a matter of time before the spider escapes for real. :S

But, my coworker was surprised.
When I told them that I had changed the cage for them.
They were like "How'd you do that?"
And I was like "I moved the spider to another container, and then spent twice as long trying to get it back inside."
Maybe there is an easier way.....

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment