Saturday, November 19, 2016

Stuck Again

You know the problem of having snakes and sticky things mix together?

Yah. Snakes get stuck to said sticky things.

*exhales*

So, in our reptile cages we have thermometers and hydrometers to monitor the temperature and humidity in every cage to ensure that each animal is getting the right heat and humidity.

Unfortunately, due to the failing of stickiness, a lot of the older gauges have been replaced with newer ones.
newer ones that have difficulty staying on the cages after so many times being cleaned.

which means they occasionally fall off.

Which wouldn't be a big deal.

Unless it's the sticky side that falls off and remains sticky.
Unless it's a snake that's wandering around and happens to slither over the stickiness and get stuck....

Which is what I found today.
One of the gauges had fallen off and when I went to open our cornsnake's cage, I discovered that the poor thing had gotten stuck.

It's not a new situation as I've encountered it before.
So I knew just what to do.

I took snake and gauge out of the cage and immediately went over to our vet, requesting that they bring me some mineral oil.

As mineral oil helps to make sticky not sticky and helps to pull the snake's scales away from the stickiness with minimal damage.

Five minutes later, with my hands covered in mineral oil. the Snake was free.

Thankfully, it looks like there was no lasting damage.
I have no idea how long the snake was stuck there.
But thankfully it wasn't so long that it hurt the snake.

It's a good thing their scales can spread out....
Otherwise it could have been worse.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment