Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Orange

I think I shouldn't be talking to people on the phone anymore.
Because once more, I got stuck in another circular conversation with a customer.

It was an older woman who called this time,
Wanting to know if we sold orange service vests for dogs.

We don't. We don't sell any service stuff because I believe you need to get your dog certified as a service animal first. You can't just pick one up in a store without completing a course or something.
In any case we don't sell them.

And I told her so.
"We have orange harnesses, but no vests." I told her.
"Oh, will those show that my dog is a service dog?"
"...No. I don't think it will." I mean...it might to those unexperienced with what service dogs should be wearing, but overall no. If it doesn't proclaim the dog as a service dog....it won't pass as a service dog.
"Because I need to get a vest so I can bring my dog to the hotel. As he's old."
.....O.o Uhm....last time I checked being an old dog doesn't qualify him as a service dog?
And I started feeling frustrated at this point, because the woman was trying to basically cheat the system to allow her dog to go where it probably isn't supposed to be (unless its a service animal.)
*exhales* And since I have friends and coworkers who do need service dogs and have jumped through all the hoops to get their dogs certified as such and deal with 'fake service dogs' on a near daily basis....
I too don't like it when people try to cheat the system that way. As it just gives service dogs a bad rap if the dog isn't trained to behave itself.

In any case I was like:
"I'm sorry, but I don't think the harness will pass."
"So do you sell the vests?"
"No just the harnesses."
"And the harnesses will pass as a service vest?"
"No I don't think it will."
"Would anyone in the store know for sure?"
"No....no they wouldn't, as it would probably depend on the hotel as to what they consider a 'service vest' But we just sell harnesses, but not for service, and no service vests."

I was glad to hang up when we finally got to an understanding.
I dunno if the woman ever came in to get the harness.
But hopefully she doesn't try to pass it off as a service vest.
*shakes head*

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment