Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Four Cent Difference

So this morning, just before we opened. Like just under 10 minutes before we opened for the day.
A customer came to the doors.
Which we had shut. 
Because we weren't open yet.
But he wanted in.
Why?
Because our sign said we were open. 
And he ignored the manager when he said "no, only grooming is open, the main store isn't open yet." 
Basically he was like "The store says your open! Therefore let me in." 
Not sure why the manager chose to let him in.
Probably because we were almost open anyways. 

In any case.
I saw this customer head towards the crickets. 
And so I made my way over there, only to find him trying to self bag his own crickets. 
>.< 
Not something we do here in the store.
So I offered to help him. 
And got him his 8 crickets that he needed. 

Only to have to help him at the register too....because we weren't open yet, therefore....there was no cashier standing there.

So we get to the register, 
but before I can ring him up.
He realizes that he's forgotten his wallet.

Which....how do you forget your wallet? O.o It's such an odd concept to me. How can you forget to take the thing that more than likely has your drivers license in it?? O.o 
(happens more than you would think.) 
Only he hadn't left his wallet in his car, he'd left it back home apparently.
So he was scrounging around his car searching for change.

And came back with 26 cents. 

Which is a far cry from enough money that he needed to buy crickets. As they were 15 cents each. 

So two would ring up to like 30 cents. 
But since he didn't have the money.
I rang him up for just one cricket. 
Which was 16 cents. (a penny in tax) 

So he paid for the one cricket.
I took the bag back to fish out the other seven crickets.
And gave him just the one. 

And thought that was that.....

Until a little bit later.
When my coworker -who had shown up by that point to be on register.

Told me that that customer was pissed off at me. 

O.o 
Which took me aback.
Why would he be mad at me?? I hadn't done anything?!?
My coworker thought the same thing. As they'd seen me interacting with the guy, and hadn't seen any thing that would warrant him being mad at me. I mean, I may not like people that can't comprehend store hours. But that doesn't mean I'm not nice to them. I still try to be helpful....so why in the world would he be mad?/

Well...
Apparently he was mad at me because I did my job properly.
He was mad at me because I didn't just take the 26 cents and let him have two crickets. 

He told my coworker that I should have had "a little bit of charity towards him." 
Which dude....it's your own idiotic fault you forgot your wallet. If you had remembered that you could have had all your crickets instead of just the one.
Besides, we're not running a charity here, it's a business. 
And you asking me to just take the 26 cents and ignore the other 4 cents is basically asking me permission to let you steal from the store.

*rolls eyes* 
Honestly, I know it's just a cricket. 
and 4 cents seems a bit silly to get worked up over. 
But with money one the line, I can't ring you up for two crickets and then short change the register. Because we have to count the cash within. And if it doesn't match up....there's trouble there. 
I wasn't going to make more work for my coworkers/managers to appease this angry man. 

Truthfully, I had, while I was unbagging the crickets to fish them back out again, considered just leaving two in there. But decided against it. 
Mostly because I didn't like the guy. After all, he'd come in before we were open. I don't like people that can't read our hours. Plus. He'd only paid for one. So one he was going to get.

I do wonder if he came back for more crickets....if he did...it was either after I'd left, or while I was elsewhere in the store. *shakes head*
Hopefully he learns to remember his wallet from this experience. Maybe even learn the hours on our doors...maybe....

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment