Monday, August 20, 2018

They're Called Display for a Reason

So in the store we have these three display tanks of fish.
Set up so customers can see what a working fish tank looks like really.
There's one tank with goldfish in it.
Another with semi -aggressive.
And the last with tropical community fish -mostly glo fish at this point.

The fish in those tanks are supposed to not be for sale.
But for whatever reason.
Customers are constantly wanting the fish within the tank.

Mostly it's because they want the 'bigger fish' I figure.
Because we only sell baby fish.
And if the fish we put in our display tanks stay there long enough, they get full grown.

*exhales*

But it's a pain to fish out the fish.
It messes up our tanks. 
And it takes forever because those tanks are much larger than our 10-20gallon sizes we have on our fish wall. 

So I automatically don't like the customers that insist they want fish from the display tanks.
Like seriously?
They're DISPLAY fish.
I wish I could make signs that say "Fish within tank are NOT for sale. NO EXCEPTIONS." 
*exhales* I don't think managers and/or corporate would approve.

No because we have this stupid mind set of "Make the customers happy!" *rolls eyes* How about focus on "Make your employees happy!" and then focus on the customers?

In any case.
Today I had a mother and son duo come into the store.
And the son wanted fish.
From our semi-aggressive display tank.
Specifically a silver dollar that I'd placed in there that was missing an eye.
-As in an attempt to discourage people from buying those fish I've started putting in fish with 'deformities." so they're not "perfect."

Apparently there are a lot of bleeding hearts in our area.
Because people see the deformed fish and go "I WANT THAT ONE!" 
But like...they only want it when the fish is in the display tank...not when it's left in the tanks on the fish wall. *shakes head* 

In any case.
The kid wanted a silver dollar that was missing the eye.
As well as the one remaining red tiger barb we had in the tank. 

The silver dollar was rather specific.
But I was like "...I have more reds over on the wall."
But the boy was like "NO. I want the red one in this tank!" 

*glares*
Fine.
Whatever.

But I warned them. "We don't usually fish from these tanks, so it may take a while because they're much harder to catch."

Plus in my own petty way, I purposely make it take longer to catch the fish in hopes that the customer will get impatient and change their mind.

….Hasn't really worked yet. *exhales*
They just stand there watching me swing my net back and forth as the fish darts all over and around the tank.
Like it can take 20 to 30 minutes to catch the freaking fish in those tanks.

*rolls eyes*
So yah.
I don't like those customers.
Like. Go get fish from the wall.
GO to the local pet stores that sell larger fish.
Stop taking from the display tanks.
It's annoying.
Super. Duper. Annoying. 

But in the end I did get those two fish for the boy.
I hope he doesn't come back any time soon.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment