Saturday, August 18, 2018

Too Long

There was a woman who came into the store today.
Who'd bought a 20 gallon tank. A 20 long specifically. Meaning it was 30 inches long.
She'd bought a light with the tank a 30 inch long light because that's what one of my coworkers had recommended to her.
But when she got home.
The light was too long for the tank.
So she'd come back into the store to exchange out the light for one that would fit her tank. 

She showed me the paper she'd taken off the tank.
And I focused on the "20 long" bolded on front.
Obviously then. She would need a 20 inch light. Since the tank was 20 inches long. 
So I was showing her a couple of different lights.
And she'd settled on the cheapest one.

But then she needed a glass lid.
And again, to double check, I asked her the size of tank.
She showed me the paper again.
Saying it was a long tank.
But I had still focused on the 20.
So I was going for the 19 inch glass lids. 

….But then I was like. Wait. A long tank?
Long tanks?
I looked again, and down below the giant 20 were the dimensions of the tank.
Stating that the tank was 30 inches long. 

Which meant she'd need a 30 inch glass lid.

….And therefore would need a 30 inch long lightbulb to fit it because the 20inch one would be far too short. 

So I was like "Oh you need a 30 inch one!" 
To which she again repeated to me that the 30 inch one was too long for her tank. By like 4 inches.

Which was weird. O.o
Because uhm….it should fit. 

But she said it didn't.
She said it was too long.

So I grabbed one of our 30inch lights -still in the box.
and set it on top of the glass lid box.
And was like ()_() You're right! It is too long!
But then.
I realized.
It was in the box.

So I asked her if she'd taken the light out of the box.
She hadn't.
She wanted to be able to return it and so hadn't taken it out of the box yet.

...Which is why she thought it was too long.
Because the box has thick packaging on either side of the light fixture to make sure it doesn't get damaged. 
Which meant the light fixture wasn't the same size of the box.

The customer was like O.o Huh?

So I pulled open the packaging and showed her that there was a thick carboard spacer keeping the light safe.

lol.
So she ended up not buying a replacement light, nor returning her original one. She took it home to test it out....outside of the box lol. 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment