Thursday, July 2, 2020

More to Learn

I'm always learning something new at work. 
Which on the one hand is nice because knowledge is good.
On the other hand it's annoying because like...with how long I've been on the job I feel like I should know all the little things that one needs to know to properly run the department.

However, you don't really know what you don't know until you're told something that should be done that you didn't know needed to be done.

The downside of having the experienced people leave before imparting their knowledge to the next person I suppose.

As today I learned that apparently every morning we're supposed to be treating the fish system.

And like. I've only ever been aware of doing a 'quick cure' treatment on Fridays when our fish come in.
I wasn't aware that we needed to be doing other treatments throughout the week.

Today I learned that the Sodium Thiosulfate stuff we use to decholorinate the fish ornaments after we bleach them should also have been used in the fish system on a daily basis. 
Which since we've been out of those sodium crystals for a while now...means that in place of those we should have been putting Stress Coat (a type of water conditioner) into the system every morning.

....and like today was the first I'd heard of that.
*exhales*

Which I'm well aware that there's a lot about the fish system that I'm completely clueless on.
As I hadn't learned everything about the maintenance that needs to be done on it when my first two more experienced managers were in charge.
Everyone after that hasn't had the experience to know about the fish system or how it works and so have relied on me to teach them what I know.

Which I knew wasn't much.

Still isn't quite fun to realize just how much I don't know.

But hopefully...I'll be able to learn more as things progress.
And once we get back to a more normal schedule where we can finally hire more people and I can get back to working morning shifts again, we'll be able to implement these changes.

We'll see though.
Still.
Good to know that there's more on the 'morning to do list' than I realized....

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment