Saturday, August 8, 2015

MLAARE -Broken Lights

So, I was busy at the register, helping customers to buy their purchases.
And managed to escape once the rush died down.
Headed back to my department, and noticed one of my managers carrying some items. Reptile products like lights and heat mats. I wondered why he was carrying them away from their department aisle.

I got the story soon enough.
Apparently, a guy walked in with the three items.
A big lightbulb worth like $80
A smaller UVB lightbulb worth like $30
A $20 dollar heat mat.

And wanted to return them.

So my manager, who happened to be on the register asked him.
"Do you have a receipt."
"No, I do not."

Bit of background.
Apparently earlier (not sure if it was today or yesterday...)
My manager had been on register.
And returned three similar (if not the same type) of items.

And gave the guy a merchandise card.
And the guy immediately turned around and sold this card that had over $100 on it.
To a woman for $50 like once he left the store.
Which she then used to buy dog food.

We'd been scammed.
>.<

The manager wasn't to be taken for a fool twice though, when encountering a similar situation today.
So without a receipt.
He refused to do a refund.

And the man,
Apparently walked outside,
And smashed the items to the ground.
Breaking two out of the three of them.
I mean, light bulbs break rather easily if they're thrown violently to the ground.

My manager saw the whole thing,
And went outside to talk to him.
Asking "You know...if I paid all that money for this stuff....I wouldn't just break it."
Apparently the man started  cursing at the manager, saying all sort of things.
And left.

We'd just stopped another thief from getting money from us.

>.<
I  wish it hadn't happened in the first place.
And its a shame that our items were destroyed in the process.
But its hard to have eyes everywhere at all times.
Its even more difficult to tell when a customer is stealing, or just browsing through the store.
>.<
Basically we have to use more aggressive hospitality.
Say hi to all the customers,
Ask if we can help them.
Come back and check in on them on occasion.

Basically if the thieves know that you know that they're there.
They're gone.
Anonymity is their game.
The ability to get in and out without notice.

Notice them.
And it stops them.

Hopefully this run of reptile items that are getting stolen from us,
ends.
Ends without more items stolen,
But we'll have to see.

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment