Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dog Food Quandry

I had a customer come up to me today, asking if I could help her, as she couldn't find the particular bag of dog food that she usually buys.
As she was looking for just the 'original' bag.

....It's an unfortunate thing with dog food bags....
The companies always feel like they need to, every now and then, switch up the design package.
Tinker with the ingredients, the look, the style, the shape...etc.

Which when there is no notice given to these changes.
Can really throw a customer for a loop.

Especially this customer.
Who was looking for the original 'chicken flavor'
Not this 'chicken and rice and barley junk'

So, to double check, I checked in with the manager, who said that it should be the same food, just a different packaging.

Which I told her. That it should be the same, that it most likely would be fine.
She didn't like those 'should and most likelies' that I tossed her way.
but I told her that I normally work over by the fish, so my knowledge of the dog food is very basic, so I'm not sure that it's the same food, that it won't harm your dog.

All I know is that you asked for a certain brand of food.
I found the brand.
Realized that what you were describing wasn't there under the same label anymore.
So I found one that best fit the description of the dog given to me.
Which was a 6 year old german shepherd.
So I told her to go for the 6+ Large Breed food. As it was chicken flavored.

But she really didn't like that the rice and barley were mentioned. Because she didn't know if they changed the recipe or not.
I told her that all I was aware of is that the brand of food she wanted now contains barley. (it may have contained it before, but whoever looks at the labels on their dog food?) And that some dogs don't like the barley in their food.
-A fact I knew because I had an old coworker come complaining about just that. That the brand of food that he wanted that the lady also wanted, now contained barley and his dogs wouldn't eat it with that in it.
otherwise....I didn't know, but it didn't hurt to try it, especially since she was adamant that her dog would eat 'any kibble placed in front' of them. So just try it out. We have a window where you can return the food if the dog ends up not liking it.
so it's not like you're losing out on money, (unless you miss the deadline.)

So I finally convinced her on the food she wanted,
And not ten minutes later.
I get stopped by another gentleman who is looking for a specific brand of Dogfood that he can't find but he knows we carry. As he's bought it here before. (different brand of food from the lady above.)
So I head to the aisle he pointed at.
listening to him describing the package and the information about his dog.
As he was looking for one that was for 'sensitive stomachs.'
Which....the brand of food he was looking at, has four different types of food within the brand you can pick out.
But I figured, he was looking on the wrong side.
Focused on the 'original' type of food.
Instead of looking behind him.
Where we had a whole section of dog food dedicated to dogs with sensitive stomachs so that they can eat and digest them easier.
So I pointed that out.
And he pointed to a bag and was like "That's it! That's what I get. Only it's in a bigger bag!"
Problem was, he pointed to the small breed packaging.
Which doesn't come in a large size.
Small dogs don't eat as much as large dogs. ;) lol

I still went and found a manager and asked them to come double check and he confirmed that we didn't carry that specific one in a larger bag.
Only for him to then realize that all the bags in that section were designed to help dogs with sensitive stomachs. So he could pick from those, and he found his 'correct' bag.

*shakes head*
I really like it when the customer takes a picture or brings in their bag of dog food, so I can better match what food they're looking for.
Because I really don't know much about the dog food, nor do I look inside the bags and see what the kibble looks like. Sooo
Any little bit of information that they can provide is useful. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi



No comments:

Post a Comment