Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Need More Heat

It's frustrating at points...when the managers change their mind on something.

You see,
For the past...I don't know, six months now?
We've been under a "don't order things for the store unless you absolutely need them, we're trying to save money" sort of regime.

Understandably it was because the 'end of the year' was coming up, and we were trying to stay 'on top' of whatever thingymajig we have to stay 'on top of' so that we ended the year on a high note instead of a low note.

I even know that my department has a monthly budget.
...That we routinely go over.
Because...well animals have to eat, and we have to keep their cages clean...so we're constantly ordering food and cleaning supplies.
*shakes head*

In any case.
One of the things we were on a 'order only if you need' thing...was our bulbs we use for the reptile cages.
We have three different kinds.
Daytime heat.
Nighttime heat.
and UVB light.

And with the first two....
We need to replace the bulbs every so often.
I honestly don't know how often....I should pay attention to that. But every 3-6 months....
As they burn out or break or whatever.

Usually it's not a problem because when a bulb breaks, I just go grab a replacement one.

Only.
Our extras ran out.
And it took the managers forever to order more...mostly because they kept forgetting....and in the meantime more and more bulbs kept going out.
*exhales*
When I was finally able to get the managers to order more....
I was told to only order exactly what I needed,
and when more lightbulbs would burn out...we'd order more then.

Now, me being used to having extras on hand....
Didn't like it much, but I complied.
Ordering just enough bulbs to cover what we needed to get all the heat lights working again.

Everything was good once that shipment came in.
But within the last week.
We've hit a bulb die off once more.
It started with one bulb which I dutifully noted to the manager to order just one more.

But then within the week...like 10 more went out. :S
But I'd only asked the manager to order one the week before.
So when I noticed how many were out now, I left a note to get more ordered....
But no one ordered them.

Thankfully though. :D
My manager decided to order 10 daytime heat bulbs instead of the one I requested.
(because if we have to pay shipping for the bulbs to get to us anyway might as well order a bunch and make it worth it.)
Which was great news!!
Because I had to use 5 of those 10 right away to replace the day time heat bulbs.
-Unfortunately the red ones are still out.

BUT!
The manager was now like "Okay! We need to order EXTRA bulbs."
Basically he wants us to have a handful of the different colors and wattages with us at all times.

Lol originally he wanted us to have 10 extra of each....
But unfortunately light bulbs cost $$$$$
And even though we now had $$ to spend.
We still have a budget...
So I cut back a bit on the number we ordered.
But still.
It was a lot of money.
:S
Basically....I just blew our quarter budget in one fell swoop. :S so hopefully what I've ordered will last us a bit. lol.
Though with this manager being adamant that we ensure the animals have their heat, I don't think I'll have to worry about us running out of lightbulbs again once this group comes in.

Here's to hoping. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment