Monday, April 13, 2015

MLAARE -Hamster Decision

I had a hard decision today.
Not hard I suppose, but one that I wish I didn't have to make.

I came into work this morning, and went to check in on our animals in our sick room.
And I found,
A hamster that was not doing well.
Blood all over the cage.
His colon prolapsing out.

Definitely not a good sight.
Nor one that can have a good outcome.

For hamsters are such delicate creatures.
That they do not do well under surgery. Under anesthesia.
If something goes wrong with them...usually they pass away within a day or so.

In fact, this particular hamster was apparently expected to not live through the night when he was returned to us.
But two days later, he was still alive.
I'd had hopes that he would recover.

But upon seeing the prolapse.
I knew it was no good.

So after going through the vet and the managers....
We came to the decision that it would be best for the hamster to be euthanized. Y_Y

I was the one to bring up that I thought he should be,
I'd worked here long enough to know the signs of what can and can't be recovered from. :(

*sighs*
But it was the first time that I had to be the deciding factor on whether or not the pet should be.
The Vet can recommend it, but its up to the Managers to make the final decision. And since my manger over me wasn't in that day, the Head Manager asked my opinion as I'd been closer to the animal and monitoring it's progress.

It's not a choice I'd like to make.
I always have hope that the animals will recover.
And I don't like taking their life before their time.

But when....things are as bad as I saw, I knew that it would need to be done.
I couldn't let the animal suffer anymore than he already was.

-Sarnic Dirchi 

No comments:

Post a Comment