Wednesday, April 22, 2015

MLAARE -Turtle Meds

I'd never seen a turtle eat fish before,
But one of ours needed to.
Why?
Because he needed a bit more protein in his diet, while I treated him for a leg that had swollen.

Which in of itself was intense, for I had to stick needles of medicine into the turtle's legs to help him get the swelling down. Definitely a first for me. Rather paranoid about hurting the poor thing, but it helped him. Even though he doesn't like the needle. He's gotten rather good at biting/snapping, but hasn't hurt me yet. He gets clothes mostly as I give him his shot.

In any case, I reward him afterwards with some fish.
I've done it a couple of times now.
But still, I can't watch him eat the fish.
It's something to watch a lizard eat crickets...something else to watch a turtle eat some fish....
It's crazy that I can watch one thing but not the other.

I guess it's because I've had fish as pets, and I like them to stay pets, not be food.
*shakes head.*
So when I put the goldfish in the turtle's tank,
I look away, and do other things until I'm sure the fish are eaten.

Definitely a different experience. :)

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment